catching up with IVOA
roy at cacr.caltech.edu
Wed Jan 24 08:03:26 PST 2007
Interesting story on the wire this morning. Looks like the rest of the
world is catching up with the astronomy community.
I am glad that VO registries are harvesting each other with the OAI
(digital library standard) protocol. Maybe IVOA can join science.world?
Full story at
Global Science Gateway Agreement Signed in London
/DOE Partners With British Library on “Science.world” Initiative/
*LONDON, ENGLAND* -- Dr. Raymond L. Orbach, Under Secretary for Science
of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), yesterday signed an agreement
with Lynne Brindley, Chief Executive, the British Library, to partner on
the development of a global science gateway. The gateway would
eventually make science information resources of many nations accessible
via a single Internet portal.
Objectives of the “Science.world” initiative are to:
* Search dispersed, electronic collections in various science
* Provide direct, seamless and free searching of open-source
collections and portals;
* Build upon existing and already successful national models for
* Complement existing information collections and systems; and
* Raise the visibility and usage of individual sources of quality
More information about the interop