OAI Coordination (update)
rplante at poplar.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 18 07:48:04 PST 2003
Some weeks ago, I sent out a list of items that we need to coordinate on
when setting up our OAI harvesting interfaces. I didn't hear any
objection to any of them over email; however, in a discussion at last
week's NVO team meeting, we talked about dropping one item and two more
were added. I summarize the list below; a full description of each one
can be found on the Twiki at
1. OAI metadata format name for VOResource metadata: ivo_vor
2. The "root" element for the VOResource metadata should be <VOResource>
3. Each OAI interface must export one <Authority> record for each
AuthorityID it controls.
4. Each OAI interface must export one <Registry> record describing
itself and includes the <ManagedAuthority> element.
5. Standard Services (ConeSearch, SIA) should include the appropriate
Capability sub-element (<ConeSearch> or <SimpleImageAccess>,
respectively) even if the element contains no content.
6. Set ContentLevel to "Research" if you want it chosen by the Data
On the Twiki, you'll see mention of an item regarding the use of
identifiers within the OAI wrapper. This item has been deferred until
after January as it is not critical.
Finally, I've spoken informally to a number of you about a change to the
IVOA Identifier spec. There has been a request to drop the "+" sign from
the list of disallowed characters in an Identifier. No one I've talked to
has had an objection to this. Can we drop this restriction for the
purpose of the demos?
More information about the registry