VOStore interface

Reagan Moore moore at sdsc.edu
Tue Aug 9 11:28:16 PDT 2005

Guy:
I agree that access needs to be authenticated to ensure that
restricted operations such as writes are done by recognized users.

>Paul,
>
>we agree that access to a VOStore must be controlled, yes? Therefore, we have
>two possible cases:
>
>   1. A store owned by a VOSpace, where the VOSpace agent is the only allowed
>   user and call the store under its own, agent identity. This is the model
>   that Reagan is promoting and which is used in SRB. It's also the model in
>   AstroGrid MySpace to date.

Actually, VOSpace owns the data that is deposited into the store.
VOSpace does not own the store.  Multiple VOSpace instances can
deposit data into the same store under separate account identifiers.

The issue of authorization can then be handled separately by each
VOSpace.  If VOSpace owns the data accessed through VOStore, VOSpace
can manage the authorization, create access control lists for each
file, and retrieve the data through a VOStore interface.  In this
situation, VOStore provides a standard access mechanism for getting
and putting files.

>   2. A store which accepts access authenticated to more than one identity.
>   Some of these identities could be used by user agents; some could be
>   services with delegated identities; some could be VOSpaces. This is the
>   model promoted by Wil (up to and at Kyoto) and, I think, by others in NVO.

This is the model used by the SRB.  The local store recognizes
multiple accounts, one for each VOSpace instance.  The VOSpace
instances can be federated to enable sharing of data that is stored
under different VOSpace account IDs.

>If you implement a store only for use from VOSpace then you naturally use
>the first model and do no per-user authorization.

Even if a store is accessed by a single VOSpace instance, VOSpace can
still authenticate each user, manage access controls for each file
deposited in the store, and do per-user, per-file authorization.

>If you allow direct access to stores from DAL, then you have the second model
>by default and the stores _have_ to deal with file ownership. However, they
>don't _necessarily_ need tables of authorized users.

The standard example is GridFTP.  This utility runs at root, uses
grid certificates to authenticate access, and then switches the
execution of GridFTP to the user's account.  The challenge is that
each store accessed this way has to have accounts for each user, and
they can only see the data they personally own.  If they want to
share data, the system administrator has to establish an account for
the new user, and the owner of the data must set up access permission
to the new user.

Direct access to stores makes it very difficult to share data.

>A minimal multi-user store allows any authenticated user to write data-items
>and tracks ownership; it has a metadatum stating ownership for
>each data-item. It doesn't check CRUD permissions; it assumes that the owner
>has full, implicit permission on all owned items. This is a lot easier than
>allowing variable permissions.

The SRB data grid typically gives permissions for all roles (read,
write, annotate, create metadata, turn on audit trails) to the owner
of the file.  Individual permissions can be established for other
persons to access the data.

>I think Matthew is right. The authorization is an implementation issue. The
>tricky part is describing the authorization policy in the registration of the
>stores: something we haven't looked at so far.

If VOStore attempts to manage authorization, it will have to
implement features similar to VOSpace.  VOStore would have to
authenticate the user
either check an access policy or ACL for each file
run as root to switch to the account of the person that owns the file

If the authorization is managed by VOSpace, VOStore can run as
middleware, and not require root access.  I prefer to put the
authorization software either in the local store, or in the VOSpace
layer to avoid the need for VOStore to run as root.

>I suggest strongly that the same authentication system be used for both
>single-user and multi-user stores even though the authorization is different.
>This allows multi-user stores to be linked into VOSpace.

I agree.  (However I think of all stores as multi-user).

Reagan